Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Art is expression

Do these look like the faces of criminals? read on...
Aloha yʻall

                  Dictionary.com defines expression in many ways, I think the most applicable is " act or an instance of transforming ideas into words" and/or "communication of emotion through music, painting etc." Is this applicable to "Is StreetART a crime, heck yes! If you are a good SA your work has been seen and it changes and challenges and/or amuses. I believe to be a good artist (street or in general) there has to be truth in the artistʻs work expressed either consciously or unconsciously, the oneʻs that make you go hmmm...

In Street ART vandalism is a crime AND this is a problem for some. From the SA side this is a rite of passage and/or you are coming up, street artists can be arrested if caught. In the above definition for vandalism, there is Banksy, the most recognized SA worldwide, his WORK that is. "Is street ART a crime?" I have tossed and turned on this one a lot since the venue change for BIRDS IN THE CITY. I donʻt like the criminal aspect applied to this art form so I/we are trying to remove the crime ALL with out losing too much STREET CRED.

I think "expression" in all itʻs defined forms is a good thing especially if no one is harmed in the process. Have you seen B3@k03 and Botherʻs work? I am blown away and really lucky to have their work via Flickr. I see dedication, progression, and expression and thats what I want to focus on. Street ART is here and I L.O.V.E. it when the SAʻs EXPRESS themselves.

This is a three part series look out for "Expression is art" then a final word from a ghost writer. Peep it!

                                                                                  XO Starla Biz

No comments:

Post a Comment